Prospect Bluff Historic Sites is the new name for one of America’s most important historic landmarks.
Formerly known as Fort Gadsden Historic Site, Prospect Bluff is the site of British Post National Landmark. This was the site that many remember as the Negro Fort on the Apalachicola River.
The fort was built by the British in 1814 as the War of 1812 entered its final months. It was a supply depot and training base for a battalion of Colonial Marines and became the centerpiece of the largest free black settlement in North America.
The British withdrew in 1815 but left the fort, its artillery and a massive stockpile of arms, ammunition and other supplies in the hands of a company of maroon (escaped slave) soldiers and their families. The United States moved to destroy this colony even though it was in Spanish Florida.
A joint land and sea expedition was sent against the post in July 1816. Scroll down for articles that provide a day by day history of that campaign from July 10, 1816 – July 28, 1816, but first enjoy a free documentary on the fort from Two Egg TV:
Learn more about the 1816 U.S. campaign against North America's largest free black community in this series:
(More to come!)